Flowerbombing...

Late May & early June on our daily walks is like being bombarded with fragrance & colour & indescribable beauty... I don't know how it's possible to walk in such places without feeling overwhelmed by it all!


Roses are everywhere too....it's been a difficult year for many plants because of the dry spring & wet cold early summer (the hydrangeas are still not out, & I can tell that there won't be much to see if and when they are)....but the roses are amazing. The cultivated ones (these are my beloved Gertrude Jekyll) and the wild briars that are everywhere on the hill...


There are so many other things to see too...
wild thyme, which carpets the lower slopes....and now, the tiny wild strawberries that no one else seems to know about

I feel slightly guilty for picking & eating them as we walk along....but the birds and deer have plenty to eat, and they are so good!
One of my favourite things every morning is the view that overlooks the vale...all spread out like a gigantic patchwork quilt. It's different every day, of course...
sometimes when it's warm, I sit and hug my knees while Alice snuffles and sniffs in the undergrowth, and drink in the gorgeousness...



The garden, too, is burgeoning - almost out of control. It seems that something new pops up if I turn my back for a minute...I spend little pockets of time every day, whenever I can, just pulling weeds or deadheading flowers. I find it very calming & satisfying.
The irises are over for this year, but they were so magnificent that I had to show you how glorious they were...

the purple ones are small and very prolific...
while these bronze beauties are huge and only produce a few blooms.

It's such a wonderful time for everything that grows...I hope you're taking time to enjoy it too. It won't last long...the longest day has already passed, although it's hard to believe. We are trying to cling to every minute!

Happy week x







Comments

  1. We must have "vales," but we don't call them anything that poetic. What a pity! Everything is gorgeous, Rachel! The wild daisies and poppies are splendid! Heaven for the soul, and for little Alice, I'm sure! We're in the driest June on record, so very grateful to see a lush landscape! Thank you--xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you have such lovely vistas to enjoy while walking Alice. Your flowers are so lush-Rain from the heavens is so much better for plants than water from our spigots. So nice to see a post from you today!
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Rachel,

    What a lovely post about the beauty of flowers and and the positive effect they have on us! Such lovely photos...thank you for sharing them with us. I'm picturing you sitting and hugging your knees (love that) while "drinking" in all the beauty! Enjoy it dear friend, I am doing the same. I find the older I get, the more I appreciate flowers, birds, wildlife and nature. There is so much beauty in the world. Thank you for sharing it with us! Have a wonderful week, sweetheart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous walk you have! It is lovely to see everything in flower. I can't stop smiling at my roses this year, they are fabulous. Clearly, they love the rain as much as me!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make me wish I were in England with all the beautiful scenery that surrounds you. It's one gigantic park. It's funny tho but the flowers you called roses at the top, mixed in with the daisies, looked like poppies to me, the state flower of CA. I'm glad you're enjoying the summer beauty and that Alice has so many cool places to romp. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely and wonderful to live vicariously in your garden. Without mine, I am totally in pots and doing all I can to have a few things. Temps have been in triple digits fahrenheit, so not good for man nor beast, but your lovely flowers do my heart good so thank you so much for sharing them!!

    What a wonderful and joy-filled post!! I've missed your writing!!

    xoxo
    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous pictures! And I am so happy to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the beauty of nature fills our souls, and yours must be overflowing! We don't have as many beautiful flowers here, so I'm happily sharing yours :-) xoxo dearest Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel,
    Is that chamomile carpeting the fields?
    The flower looks so delicate.
    I haven't seen a fraise du bois in ages, the sweetest berry ,
    and I guess its true that Irises like lots of watering/ as yours certainly got so much this year and look at them.
    I feel as if I've taken a walk through the countryside myself because of this lovely field trip~
    xx
    julie
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful the irises are. I love the more unusual bronze. So lovely to see your blog, I know it's because you are so fabulously busy but selfishly I miss them! It's great to get a little piece of you...for now xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel Love this post especially the daises & the wild poppies! What a beautiful mix! Thank you for sharing Love Nina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the feeling. I so enjoy my nature walks. I share the photos on my blog as well! I feel so close to God when there in his creation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right about late May and early June in England, I was there at just that time this year! The roses were so beautiful and I took so many photos of them, I think I might have to do a post on them alone.
    Glad to know a real English rose! (Like you!)
    Enjoy your lovely walks and remember that you then get to go home and listen to Mozart. Life is good for you!
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous setting for walking! We are having the hottest summer on record, setting an all-time high temperature record of 105 degrees F. on Saturday, then a repeat on Sunday! We could also use some rain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Rachel...how lovely all your flowers are and how blessed to be in such a beautiful, lush area!! I loved your post so and am very sorry that I have been away from your blog. Nature does restore our souls and what a gift to be able to stop, see, and enjoy these gorgeous moments!! Have a lovely day, dear one! Hugs, Sherry xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gee, sorry I got here so late. What a treat all your pictures are to me and many others who love nature. I'd rather spend an afternoon walking some place beautiful than almost anything else and you have won the lottery on beautiful scenery. How splendid to walk out the front door out out to the country. I have a drive a bit but still I am very grateful to have that pleasure. Thanks for the walk and view. Know Alice must be one happy dog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Rachel, I just popped over across the pond from Susan Branch's blog where she wrote about the wonderful time spent with you in England! I have now found another great blog to read and enjoy. Can't wait to try one of your recipes. Blessings, Sandy from America

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a beautiful walk you shared with us today, there is nothing as sweet as the strawberries we find among the grass in the wild.I am new to your blog, its so nice to meet you!
    Wonderful photos, I'm enjoying your past posts, I'm your newest follower,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts....

You may also enjoy...