The day the music died....

"When the angels play for God, they play Bach...but when they play for themselves, they play Mozart...and God eavesdrops.."

As I am, truly, Mozart's Girl I couldn't let this day pass without commemorating his death 219 years ago today.

I am always filled with melancholy on 5th December. I listen to his music non-stop and wonder what he could have achieved had he lived longer than his tragically short 35 years. Traditionally, my Mum & I watch the movie Amadeus on this date (I've seen it 73 times....!)Not because it's a faithful representation of his life (nor was it ever intended to be) but because it brings a little of him to us and allows us to imagine what the world may have been like with him in it. And, of course, it's filled with that sublime music.

I'm currently listening to his Sinfonia Concertante for Violin & Viola, K 364 - my favourite recording, played by the Israel Philharmonic, conducted by Zubin Mehta with Itzhak Perlman & Pinchas Zuckerman as soloists. Sheer, unadulterated heaven.

What makes him different, to me, from the other great composers? And I acknowledge that there are many others. I love Bach, some Beethoven, Schubert, Dvorak, Puccini. But Mozart, my Mozart. I find it hard to describe the effect he has on me - I have felt it for so much of my life that it's like breathing. I think maybe it's that his music encompasses & describes every facet of being a human being - joy, sadness,birth, death, marriage, hope, spirituality...and ,above all things, love. His music is suffused with love.

All I know is that he can raise my spirits and fill me with joy and longing like no one else. For that, and for so much more, I remember and thank him, especially today.

This is thought to be his death mask. I'm drawn to it and yet it's so hard for me to look at. It's never been fully authenticated, although it's known that a cast of his face was taken after death and there are many things that point to it's authenticity. I find it overwhelming to know that I may be, finally, looking at his dear face.

All I can tell you is that, like all of his music, it feels familiar to me.

I wish you a wonderful Sunday xoxo

Comments

  1. Oh, thank you for reminding me! It is an anniversary to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this- so profound; his music does have an incredible effect on many, but there is definitely something very personal with you--maybe you were 'related' in a past life...who knows? Have you created a bakery treat with his name? Like Mozart's 'note'worthy cakes? I love the fact that you honor his life and appreciate his talent...it's incredible to think what he might have written had he lived longer....Bravo for a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi rachel and alice...first...i want to thank you for the beautiful Chrismas card...you are a dear... i have it up so i can see it...and i LOVED this post. i may have told you i enjoy playing the piano...and Mozart is a favorite...you're so right...pure heaven :-)

    sending love to you and alice today...
    kary and sweet teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing I can say would add to this beautiful blog. Thanks Ray and Thanks Mozart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this death mask and it's fascinating...what I find most interesting is the look of peace and contentment on his face!

    I just wanted to drop a note to tell you that, I'm thinking of you today, and thinking about how kind and thoughtful you are. You are a true inspiration.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. His face in death looks as if he's listening to beautiful music. The connection to him that you feel is truly amazing. I can only believe that the explanation lies in a realm beyond our understanding, that you did indeed love him before this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the mid 80's my Mom sister and I were so fortunate to travel to Salzburg! We had a magical evening sitting on gilt chairs, in a schloss, chandeliers lit, and transported to an earlier time. The quartet was playing Mozart all evening. I still remember closing my eyes and being carried away to a very special time and place, wonder-filled!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... Mozart... he, too, is my most favourite composer. (with Bach up there too).

    I must admit, though, I have not been as smitten as you are, but his music certainly washes beauty and grace and wonder any time I listen to it. It never fails to meet whatever I 'need' in a given moment -- whether it's cheering up or I feel like celebrating or am inspired to create something, it's Herr Mozart's music I most turn to.

    So it's lovely to 'meet' you (saw your link on Susan's blog) and to share a mutual love and respect for this man's beautiful, beautiful music.

    There is something very stirring about the death mask.

    Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places...

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts....

You may also enjoy...