A Capital Christmas - Part 1

We left home, and the churchyard in the crisp, deep snow....


So beautiful! Walked and slipped down to the train station and took Alice on her first train ride into London. I had a pocket full of biscuits for bribing her - sure she would be so excited and a total nuisance. We didn't need one treat! The dear little girl sat quietly on my lap, looking out of the window, for the entire journey. The biggest compliment came when a lady was disembarking at Marylebone, looked over and said 'Oh! I didn't realise there was a dog in the carriage!' We swelled with pride!

And London is beautiful and buzzing at Christmas. Lights everywhere. Hardly any snow up here either, just cold & crisp. Last night we saw 'It's A Wonderful Life' at the movies. I shed tears. It gets better and more poignant everytime I see it. Darling George Bailey!

This morning, Christmas Eve, my day of days, Paul took Alice for a looong walk in Regent's Park while I made coffee,tried not to feel too sad about not being where we are supposed to be, bought sticky cinnamon buns and ALL the newspapers (Paul frets if he doesn't have enought to read!) After a quick breakfast, we left Alice with the radio on for company and walked the mile or so to Soho for last minute shopping. First to Wholefood Market for cheeses, bread, dates, avocadoes, treats (!) Then it was lunchtime and we popped into Randall & Aubin for a glass of festive prosecco and something light to eat...



                                                            Paul in holiday mood!!

We had some fun, as opposite the restaurant was a neon lit sex shop...it was very funny to watch the furtive gentlemen looking around before dashing in...!


After lunch, Paul & I split up (temporarily!!) to do some last minute secret shopping before heading home...and now I'm here with Alice, cup of coffee, candles lit. My very favourite part of Christmas. The shops are almost shut...no time for more panic buying (which is really all it is at this time) Nothing to do but sit back, relax and enjoy the holiday.

And I have a wonderful background of Mozart's Don Giovanni filmed at Glyndebourne this Summer on TV.

If we can't be where we were supposed to be this Christmas, then I'm glad to be here.

Happy happy Christmas Eve to everyone. A special mention to my dear Twitter friend Sandy, who's undergoing an operation today. I send her love, special thoughts and wishes for a very quick recovery.

Have a wonderful day. I'll share the rest of our Christmas soon. xoxo








Comments

  1. Oh Rachel..your day and travels sounded wonderful! As I saw something on the news about London, I thought of you and just knew you would be having a wonderful..blessed time.
    (Even though you aren't where you were suppose to be...)

    We too will not have our holiday as we had planned..as I got the flu...who would know? But we shall celebrate later together just on a different day...

    Blessings and Merry CHRISTmas...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than 30 minutes now... My first Christmas in England, involuntarily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sweet Rachel, I so enjoyed this Christmas update. I loved picturing you and Paul in London...and the quiet hours at home with a home filled to the brim with good food and love. It is a lovely Christmas you're having after all!

    I'm sending lots of love and hugs. I can't wait to hear more!

    xoxo Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Christmas morning and I've just opened my gifts...THANK YOU so much for the sweet presents! I love the little bird pin, and the hand warmers are so cute!

    I hope my parcel for you arrives soon, I'm so sorry it didn't arrive on time. Well, we'll prolong Christmas! :)

    Wishing you, Paul, and Alice a merry, joyful Christmas day,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rachel! What wonderful phtos!! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and much joy!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas darling Rachel!
    I love this post, it is so festive and you and Paul look so happy it is making my heart sing!
    Thank you so very much for my beautiful gifts, I love the Emma tea towel and the necklace, you are such a sweetpea, thank you for being so thoughtful :)
    Wishing you all a wonderful Boxing Day
    Love Morwenna and Poppy xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts....

You may also enjoy...