The Tyranny of Books...

 Books. One of my very favourite things. I was a bookworm from the time I first learnt to read...sneaking up to other children's bedrooms at parties to see what they had until an adult (usually my Dad) came up to drag me back down, telling me to 'be sociable!'

 I also married a bookworm...and our idea of heaven is to visit bookshops and (especially) second hand ones on our travels and bring armfuls home...we have a LOT!
 Cookbooks especially...I've been a food professional for 34 years in one way or another and it's another thing that has always fascinated me...so I amassed a massive collection (over 2,000 at one point..)
Magazines too - music, interiors, food (naturally)...anything interesting. I'm sure that many of you are the same, it's not a unique obsession. But I've discovered some things about the acquisition of books and myself over the past year or so. Part of the change I referred to in an earlier post is a considerable shift in my attitude to 'stuff' and possessions in general. I'll write more about this in other posts because I find it absolutely fascinating.

I had thought that books were some how sacred and exempt from the minimising process. There's a sort of mysticism over them isn't there?...keepers of secrets and knowledge...bringers of joy and wisdom. And - I had to admit this to myself but it wasn't easy! - there's also a certain 'snob' value in owning lots of books. They reflect so many of ones values, interests, dreams, ideals...it's a nice thing to have lots of them but also subconsciously I think I've been guilty of being a bit boastful in having so many. As though the volume makes me appear intellectual or 'highbrow' to others. I've always had a secret thrill when visitors have said 'wow, so many books!'

Well, no more. It was incredibly hard to begin, but we have pared back by roughly a quarter I would estimate. How many biographies of Hitler does one household need? Not the FOUR that we had! Some books were so precious to me that I had three or MORE copies, dotted around the house in different editions in case I mislaid one. No more! That was a problem with myself that I had to untangle - WHY were these titles so important that they became like safety blankets in my mind? The answers were difficult to face but I had to do the work on myself and then be brave and save just my favourite edition. Any book we hadn't read - gone! If we haven't read it by now, we never will. Any magazine not read by the time the next edition is published - gone! All subscriptions cancelled as it's too easy to just let them accumulate...all that money wasted for nothing! Cookbooks were difficult but often I bought them for reference and never used them (I so rarely use cookbooks these days...if I do it's purely for inspiration.) I sold quite a few on Ebay - the brand new ones. But everything else is donated. There are so many good causes that love books in excellent condition. It feels brilliant giving to others in need.

I'm not finished yet...every week or so I cast my eyes over the (still full but not overstuffed) bookshelves and pick a few more that can go. It gets easier. And knowing that they have a good home makes it better too. We still buy books but it's one in, one out now. Time to change. I hung on to so much for so long and gave inanimate objects so much power and emotion. I needed to realise that they are just things.

It's definitely a work in progress. But everything feels better for it.

Comments

  1. Wonderful post! I think most of us can identify with collecting things in one form or another...if not books, something else. As I've gotten older, I too, have become less comfortable with all the "stuff" and continually go through and purge, donating what is useful and discarding what isn't. It's quite a freeing feeling. Looking forward to following along on your journey. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Rachel. A few years ago we did the same and now am enjoying the fact that the library has sold or lent them out for others to enjoy. When we love something it's hard to let go. I'm now working on getting rid of my serious collection (obsession) of handbags. Just donated a big bag of them to a local charity. Happy Spring! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife insisted that I read this post. I will when I have time and I am not tired, but somehow I am not sure I will agree with you, or follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end
    or if it's the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may be your end!! Sorry you are having problems...hope it gets fixed soon x

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post, Rachel. This is something I want to do. I can't right now with care giving my priority, but I know a day will come when I can devote time to it. You have given many good tips on not only cleaning out your bookcase, but "doing the work" on yourself, as you put it, to give the perspective and rationale for doing so. I like your new blog and focus on getting things right for how you are living now. Thank you for sharing your ideas and your struggles and victories! Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane! It really isn't easy but it gets easier and it really makes life better - I wouldn't have believed it, but it does! x

      Delete
    2. I know. Everyone who does this, says so. I have a friend who reduced their square footage to 700 sq. feet. and loves it. She can clean the whole space in an hour! Someday, maybe I can do this. xo

      Delete
  6. Ouch! This hits home but I haven't been able to start weeding through the books. They are like friends. I'll start purging all the other areas first and leave books for last. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Donna, I was exactly the same! But remember this isn’t about getting rid of anything you really love...I certainly haven’t done that. Anything that adds value (genuinely) to your life should be kept! We still have hundreds of books. But I bet you’ll find there’s plenty of others that don’t justify their place in your home...x

      Delete
    2. Hey Rachel! After you sort through your books, could you come to my house and do the same with mine? HA! Hope you are doing well these days! :-)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post Rachel and so timely. I have tried to do this in several areas and have tried to only buy things I will use! I gave several books last month to both a woman's abuse shelter and a children's shelter. BUT I visited a very cool used bookstore called Sandman's Used Books and brought home 4. They do allow you though to donate the books back and they will give you store credit for more. Of course a couple of these I would like to keep but then after a year or two that may change! Thank you for the idea of one in and one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachel! I also love books, especially old books. But also magazines and cookbooks, although I don't have as many as you! Wow, you do have a lot! I have one cookbook I won't ever part with, which is a Betty Crocker cookbook that I've used over and over for almost 40 years. It's pages are stained with a lot of the cooking ingredients I've used making so many of the recipes. I love keeping magazines because you can re-read them as often as you want, but lately I've been better and have been sharing them when I'm finished. Also, I just read Susan Branch's blog and saw that you and your husband Paul visited with her in Ireland. I'm sure you had a fabulous time! Thanks for this post Rachel, I really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts....

You may also enjoy...