In Praise of Kindness....


I haven't posted for a while, as I have been 'farmsitting' while my parents were visiting Esther and her family in Australia. But they're safely home now, and while it was wonderful to spend time there, I'm so glad to be back in my routine too!

I saw the movie Invictus a couple of weeks ago. Aside from being blown away by Morgan Freeman's amazing performance as Nelson Mandela, and so moved by the story itself, it made me think about why Mandela is such an icon in the world. Of course it's partly his immense courage, strength of character and capacity for forgiveness in the face of almost unbearable bigotry, cruelty and unfairness. But, I believe, it's also his innate kindness. He extends the same gentleness to everyone, never minding their colour or politics. Takes time and effort to memorise names, faces, things that are important to those around him. It may be a small, simple thing - dwarfed by the bigger character traits he possesses maybe - but I began to think that it is this that the world could do with more of.

So, in a small way, I've been trying to incorporate more small acts of kindness into my everyday life. Really thinking about those I love...what do they actually need or want? It's often very different from what I would choose, but I'm trying to honour it! And not just with people I know, either. I've been noticing the people behind me in the grocery queue with just one bottle of milk and letting them in front of me, or returning people's empty trolleys in the carpark, or giving the homeless man with the cute Jack Russell an extra pound coin. I'm not always thanked, seen or acknowledged. Some might say (I might have once myself) that the homeless man will only spend the money on drink. I don't think it matters. I'm trying, really trying, to think of others more - to notice people - and to incorporate little 'gifts' into my day for them.

One thing I know. It makes me feel wonderful when someone does something nice for me, or pays me an unsolicited compliment. So I know it works!

Have a wonderful week.....xoxo

Comments

  1. You are such a kind-hearted person :) It does feel wonderful doing nice things for others.

    I hope you have a lovely week as well♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Rachel and I feel very proud to know you and to have been touched by your kindness in so many ways.
    You have inspired me to be more kind too :)
    Love Morwenna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindness does make such a huge difference. When I am having a bad day, or am going through a tough time in general, it is much harder for me to give and be kind, but then I remember that it is those times when it is really important, because being kind and being generous and thoughtful actually opens my heart and may even change the way I feel.
    Thank you for the reminder. :)
    You have such a good heart.
    xo Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts....

You may also enjoy...